In the future, MOOC will be used by companies to train workers. “One day, machine-tools will be connected to MOOC, and technicians will be able to learn directly from there,” predicts Chris Lawrence from the Mozilla Foundation, the editor of Firefox, which is looking into expanding access to education to the highest number of people.
Innovation will offer new ways and tools of creating, publishing and interacting with adaptive content. Samples of evolution in the pedagogical format :
- enriched with alternative or news versions of the standard course. A proposal of different pedagogical formats (Gaming, Entertainment/show, Lecture, etc.) depending on the objective of :
- the course,
- the way the learner fell more confortable to get a valuable experience.
- dynamic with live data,
Interaction occurs when you create, you publish, you run, you capitalize a knowledge transfert. Learning methods are changing with:
- interactivity between members
- crowd authoring, crowd learning, crowd financing
- peer to peer and other
- members can put annotations on an existing content
- they can participate at the course construction and revision,
- they can underlying what they do not understand, and someone else or a dedicated e-tutor, write and advice and answer,
- embedded tutoring (where readers offer to explain or discuss a difficult passage)
- co-reading (where readers are automatically put in contact with others currently reading the same page),
- members can put annotations on an existing content
- interactivity with the computer or automatisation (search, analysis, correction, feedbacks, etc.)
- student taking ownership of an important part of its learning process (the inquiry process). Each member has his own “world” that he can use to enrich his own knowledge. Then, he can decide to share it with the classroom at the “formal” setting.
- Seamless learning occurs when a person experiences a continuity of learning across a combination of locations (space, workplace, home, campus, etc.) , times, technologies (mobile, tablet, google glass, etc.) or social settings. These are extended learning projects that can be accessed on multiple devices, flow across boundaries between formal and informal settings, and continue over life transitions such as school to university and workplace.
- This will offer a more adaptive and flexible learning process for each membre
- Seamless learning will help each member to learn at his own rythme and to build its own and optimum learning pathway.
- To move to the seamless learning organisation should
- rationalize their learning activities (avoid duplication, etc.) and make a clear offer,
- implement a collaborative learning infrastructure (IT and physical spaces) (see the UEB experience : the digital learning infrastructure) that can be
- used as an online learning place to host days of business training for employees, partners and local education need,
- linked with a onsite learning place (blended learning)
- Initial edX aim was to improve teaching and learning of tuition paying on-campus students. Have revised aim to developing best practices to enhance the student experience and improve teaching and learning both on campus and online
- Coursera provides university partners with a flipped classroom. MOOC handles the lecture, course reading, some assessment & peer-to-peer interaction for campus-based tuition paying students. On-campus activities focused more on active learning & instructor help
- used as an open access center
- used for passing verified exams,
- used as a conference facilities to host conference, board meeting etc.
While technology is rapidly changing the nature of work and with a fierce global competition :
- jobs are being disaggregated into tasks, work is becoming virtual,
- firms are relying on flexible labor (temporary, contract workers),
- opportunities become spread around the world,
- news jobs are created recently. There are so new that they didn’t even exist 5 years ago.
Who ever want to prepare its career path evolution, should design its own learning pathways, each with specific objectives such as :
- develop a personal growth, a broader range of interests and expand horizons (instruction),
- develop a wider social life,
- prepare the entrance in the fast changing job market (education),
- get of a long live learning training, increase employability and increase career development prospects,
Today, the learning system is not learning fast enough. The link between job offer and profile offer is weak. With MOOCs, organization can be adapt more rapidly and efficiently their training & learning programs to fit with the learners needs.
Some (very few) can manage their own learning pathways alone, some other need to do it in a structured framework : the university (education or training). MOOCs are well adapted to prepare for organizing an efficient university.
The certification of MOOCs will play an important in the link between education and employment and also to build a sustainable reputation of expertise.
- at first, we had certification for ONE MOOC
- today, any organisation should offer certification for a SERIE of MOOC, in coherence with a specific learning pathway.
Innovation will come in the way to create value when an organisation provide certificate, series of certificat and diploma.
Bill gates said : “Well, at the end of the day, a lot of education is about getting the credential that helps with your employability. And, you know, the gold standard for that today is to go to a university where you spend time physically and the idea of how you learned and what you learned and, you know, to prove that you have this ability, those are tied together. I see those things decoupling, that the way you prove that you have certain skills, you know, can be very straightforward and there can be a lot of people who are competing to help you gain that knowledge. Certainly this is going to be a global phenomenon.”
Another domain of innovation, is the way to guaranty the value of the certificate, if the certificate is giving online.
Socialization is key. It is the “means by which social and cultural continuity are attained”‘. It is a natural process that is necessary for participating within his or her own community.
“New learning” organization should integrate tools that can help learner or any member of its learning community to find a ways to socialize (online and onsite).
A business model describes the rational of why and how an organisation creates, delivers, and captures value. Moving to a MOOC activity need to invest time, energy and money. It is better to know what is the corporate ROI for such MOVE.
Today, few univiersities have found the right business model. It is more easy to find it for a business corporation. B-Factory Consultant are able to help you establishing the right business model that is based on your MOOC strategy.